Friday, 13 May 2011

Grab and Go Morning Muffins


In my daily morning rush if I have to choose between juggling my hairdryer and GHDs for super shiny tresses or sitting down for breakfast, I have to admit, the blow-dry always wins. This is not helped by the fact that Starbucks is right next door to my office so after battling the tube and hour long commute I’ve given into temptation and added a double chocolate muffin to my venti soya latte…not good for either my purse or my waistline.

Therefore, I decided to make my own muffins to eat on the go. They’re fruity enough to satisfy my sweet tooth, the soya bran is packed with protein and fibre and the raisins are full of antioxidants so although they still might not be the healthiest option for breakfast they certainly feel a lot more saintly than the calorific chocolate alternative (and I have enough change left for Grazia afterwards!)







Grab and Go Morning Muffins

Ingredients

75g butter, melted
300ml soya or skimmed milk
125g soya bran (from health food shops)
2 eggs
75g dark muscovado sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
60g self-raising wholemeal flour
125g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
220g tin pineapple slices, well drained and chopped into bite size pieces
2 tbsp raisins soaked in 2 tbsp orange juice
25g desiccated coconut


Preheat oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases. Put the milk and soya bran in a bowl, mix thoroughly and set to one side.

In another bowl, beat the eggs, melted butter, sugar and vanilla extract together until well combined.
In a large bowl, sift together the flours, salt and baking powder and stir in the pineapple pieces.

Mix the bran mixture into the egg mixture. The bran mixture may appear too thick, but once mixed thoroughly with the egg mixture you‘ll get a nice, smooth consistency. Briefly stir this into the dry ingredients until there are no traces of flour, being careful not to overwork the mixture.

Briefly stir the raisins into the mixture and divide evenly between the 12 paper cases. Sprinkle the desiccated coconut lightly over the top of each of the muffins.

Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until risen and golden. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve the muffins warm.



Belle’s Top Tip
What’s great about these muffins is that you can freeze them, so they last for almost two weeks! Just take one out of the freezer the night before, leave to defrost and it’ll be ready to grab and go in the morning…easy!